The Puff Pastry Project: Part 1

I have been working on my biggest challenge: Puff pastry. Well, actually it's "croissant" dough. 

This is NO easy task at all. I have tried before and I have failed miserably. I did not want to try again because I thought I needed the supervision of an expert. But, so many fellow bloggers, chefs and foodies have tried and succeeded. I had to do it. 

This time I decided to make two batches of dough.  The first batch had a lot of yeast and was super tough to handle. Some of the butter from the first round of folds during lamination, broke through the dough. Althought I could have "salvaged" it,  but I did not want to. I decided to continue lamination, but I did it to make Kouign Amann. In KA dough, the layers are covered in sugar to create that sweet, crunchy, crispy layer. SO that means that the dough does not only have butter layers, but also, sugar layers. Talk about heart attack. 

Anyways, before I reveal the full recipe and instructions of the croissant, here is what my first batch of "fail" dough looks like:
 
 Looks like a sweet croissant!
 Layers of sweet sweet goodness!


I have never been able to pull off the layered-puffy pastry. EVER. I always fail. 

If I could do it, so could you. 

Stay tuned for part 2, which will feature the 2nd batch of dough (hopefully croissants) and a full recipe. 

XOXO
Z

Comments

Popular Posts