What happens when your mom cooks something gross?

There is nothing I dread more than "Locrio de Arenque". Ok....there are A LOT of things I dread equally or more than that "locrio", but... I do hate it! Locrio de Arenque is a rice-codfish dish popular in  the Dominican Republic. Some people (my mom and younger sister) absolutely love it, others (the whole world) hate it with passion! You can find me in the "haters" group 24/7.

So, after talking a nice bus ride to Target and finding the store was closed (it's EASTER not New Years Day, why are they closed???), I headed back home to find my mom had made LDA. Needless to say, I was not thrilled. The house stinks, and the locrio is gross. I was upset to have wasted my time traveling to the store, which was closed...and now, I was starving! What to do?....
Spinach bunch in boiling water

These are the moments I look through the food board on my Pinterest account or any of my cook books. I was inspired by many of the dishes I looked at, but only good ol' Palag/Saag Paneer and Makki di Roti reached its warm, inviting hand out to the heart within my belly. So I got cooking!

Makki di Roti
As a quick lesson for you all: Palak paneer is a dish originating in the northern Indian state of Punjab. It's made with spinach or mustard leaves, and Indian cheese (paneer). It's been a while since I've made Saag Paneer..or any decent meal, for that matter. I was definitely happy to make it to the kitchen and create something delicious and wholesome! Saag Paneer is something that I really enjoy making because it is super simple and you can really feel you've been fed something good for you (if you don't go crazy on the ghee or paneer, that is).
Dough for samosas




Turns out I didn't have all the necessary ingredients (ONIONS!!!), but it turned out delicious! I also made samosas..because if we are going to make PJ food then we are going all-out!






I will post a recipe for this dish...soon. I suggest it is eaten with Makki di Roti or regular wheat roti. Some people eat it with rice, but I have to say that I enjoy the flavors better with the roti. Anyway, the point is , try something new!

Palak Paneer coming together in pan
This was my sunday afternoon. Filled with delicious Indian food, coffee, chats with a friend, some drawing and watercolors and the horrible stench of LOCRIO DE ARENQUE. I say the good outweighs the bad....right?! ;)

Until next time, foodies!




Comments

Popular Posts