KOREAN KRAZE: A review!

   My blog is a celebration of food. Food brings people together and can build bridges between cultures. I am a lover of different cuisines and I am dying to try many more. Korean food is one of these. Now, thus far I have had an awesome experience with Korean food, but the Asian bakeries (East Asian) are typically not of my taste. You see, I have only been introduced to the stuff you find in Flushing. There are many hidden gems, but there are also many places not worth a visit. Today, I discovered my new obsession.
 Folks, it isn’t a healthy one AT ALL!

   Tous Le Jours is a Korean chain very popular throughout Asia and it has opened various locations worldwide. There are quite a few in the U.S., but today was the first time I had heard of it. I was a bit skeptical to go in but my friend, “A”, needed a snack (she loves Korean everything). As I walked closer, I liked what I saw. The bakery had all glass walls and was very clean and pretty looking. When I walked in, I knew I had to try their stuff. Everything looked fresh and appealing, and most importantly, the place was super clean.

   I grabbed a wooden tray and tongs, placed a pastry sheet and walked around the place. I looked at all the decadent pastries, the variety of breads, the different types of donuts and snacks. I thought I was going to pass out. I tried to remind myself that money wasted is never a good thing, so I opted for a prepackaged bag of mini cheese bread, and two types of donuts:  sesame and pumpkin. Although I wanted to grab everything, I realized I needed to be wise and try a just few things. I was so nervous, I went to the register and paid for my goodies. The staff was very pleasant, which to me makes a huge difference. If the staff isn't nice when you’re paying, I cannot trust they’ll be clean with my food.  

Anyways let me describe what this majestic experience was like:



PUMPKIN DONUT:
Okay, the fact that I love pumpkin is an understatement. To me, pumpkin everything is delicious. Yes, I am one of those crazy people at Starbucks on the first day Pumpkin lattes are served, every autumn (my fave season). Well, this donut was perfect. It was a nice, round, fluffy ball with a dollop of sweet pumpkin in the center. One bite, and I was in love. It was so decadent, yet light. It was not too sweet, which is a typical characteristic of East Asian sweets. It has sesame seeds.

SESAME DONUT:
All of the above. A definite must. It is a plain round ball of goodness, which is mildly covered in sugar (always a good thing). I would pick this up as a trial if you are skeptical.

MINI CHEESE BREAD ROUNDS:
These were, eh. I wasn't super thrilled, just because it did not possess the fluffy texture the donuts did. Also, I am faithful to Brazilian Pao de Queijo, so I hold everything else inferior to PDQ. Good to kill hunger, though. 





   Overall, I am obsessed. They have in me a returning customer! Their coffee is pretty good and they even have a café style seating area. A good place for a snack and coffee with the amigos.

  I urge you to try them. Their website does not have all the updated locations so, Google and Yelp are probably the best places to find one near you. 

Here is the location I tried:
39-02 Union St,
FlushingNY 11354

Comments

Popular Posts