Squashing Carbs


    Who doesn't love food that can make them fat?! Pasta is one is the main culprits of flabby bellies, but it’s so hard to say no to a plate of cheesy, saucy spaghetti! I have become better at thinking of the effects of some foods on my waist line, but I still want to enjoy what I eat. One little known, yet delicious and waist line friendly alternative to spaghetti is, spaghetti squash.

    I am a squash lover and can never get enough of squashes and pumpkins and anything else in between, when autumn rolls around. But, I have never tasted spaghetti squash or knew or of its existence until I saw it being prepared on the Rachel Ray Show. What called my attention the most was, the low carb aspect of cooking spaghetti squash versus pasta. Pasta is great, don’t get me wrong, but it has become harder to find pasta made from non-processed wheat crops, without chemicals and other junk. To guarantee that you are eating the right thing, you have to pretty much make everything fresh, but sometimes we don’t really have time to make our own pasta. This beautiful vegetable comes to the rescue both in the nutritional and time department!

                                   Ready for the oven!

Roasted deliciousness


·       To prepare squash simply cut in half length wise, scrape out seeds and sprinkle some salt, black pepper and olive oil.

·     Preheat oven to 375 degrees and put squash halves rind side up on a baking tray. Bake for   about   1 hour. Take out and let it cool.

·    Once the squash is cool enough to handle with hands, use a fork to gently remove squash strands from the peel and place in a bowl.

You can serve with your sauce of choice as you would with spaghetti. I love simple and clean sauces for the squash, to let the vegetable shine through. This one below is one of my favorites:


·         2 Tbsp of Olive oil
·         Juice of 1 lime or lemon (I love Meyer lemons for their flowery notes)
·         1 tsp of garlic paste (TIP: If you prefer your garlic to be sweeter, roast garlic in oven)
·         Add salt and pepper is you did not roast the squash with these, or did not add enough.

In a skillet or pan on low-medium low fire, mix in 1 half of spaghetti squash, olive oil, garlic paste, lemon/lime juice and combine until the squash has acquired flavors. Serve immediately or cover to keep warm!


Have you prepared Spaghetti squash? If so, what’s your favorite way?

There are so many delicious recipes online for SQ and I am ready to try them all!

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts